I'm Ken Jones
I'll help you become better real estate consumer.
I'm Your Sheepdog
Born and raised in a working-class family in Staten Island, New York, and being the oldest of 5 children, protecting my younger siblings came naturally to me. Throughout my life, I've instinctively stood up to defend those unable to protect themselves.
Over the years, I heard it said that there are only three types of people in the world; those who are sheep, those who are wolves, and those who are sheepdogs.
In this scenario, sheep are timid and easy prey for the wolves who hunt sheep. And the sheepdog is a fierce defender of the sheep who will drive away and, if necessary, fight the wolf to the death.
Using this analogy, I categorize myself as a sheepdog; it's in my DNA.
My mission is to protect you, the real estate consumer, by alerting you to the dangers lurking in the real estate industry that can steal your money and your dreams and teaching you how to avoid them.
My Back Story
After being a studio singer and musician in my teens, then having a successful career as the lead singer for the 1960s rock band, The Strangeloves, I was broke, remarried, and was about to become a father.
Needing to make more money, in July 1971, I passed the New Jersey Real Estate Salesman's License exam and became an agent for a local real estate agency.
To my surprise, I was "a natural," creating 8 transactions in as many weeks. But, without warning, the company closed after the owner drained the company trust account and left town; I was never paid my commissions.
Because there was no such thing as real estate sales training at that time, I dedicated myself to learning everything about the real estate brokerage business. I also create a real estate investment strategy to become more financially secure.
After winning several national and regional sales awards, I opened my real estate agency (Kenneth J. Jones Associates) in January 1978.
The company grew quickly, and I won several awards for Best Classified Advertising in New Jersey from the New Jersey Press Association. I subsequently expanded into new construction and renovations.
I needed the help of experienced real estate agents for my growing real estate brokerage business. But, because there weren't any professional real estate agent training sources, I was forced to develop my Fast-Track agent training program. This course eventually transformed into my, Ultimate Basic Training course.
I became a New Jersey Certified Instructor for real estate sales and broker licensing in 1982. I also earned two Accredited Senior Appraiser designations from the American Society of Appraisers in Real Property in 1990 and in Machinery and Technical Specialties, Mines & Quarries in 1991.
Anticipating the demand for real estate appraiser education, in 1991, I created my professional education service, the Institute of Real Estate Technologies, creating accredited courses and seminars, and presenting them throughout the eastern United States.
Since then, I've developed and instructed many real estate sales and business training courses and seminars. And, with the explosion of online training, I now provide many of my professional real estate courses and seminars online.
My Career Highlights
- Licensed real estate salesman in New Jersey (1971).
- Licensed real estate broker in New Jersey (1977), New York (1982), and Arizona (2001).
- Listed, sold, leased and appraised thousands of residential, commercial and industrial properties, as well as having designed, constructed, and renovated many others. (1971 to Present)
- Million Dollar Salesman Awards - National Association of REALTORS®, New Jersey Association of REALTORS®, Middlesex County Association of REALTORS®
- Provided appraisal, investment analyses, and various consulting services to clients throughout the US, Canada, Europe, Central America and the Caribbean. (1979 - Present)
- Qualified Expert Witness - Provided Expert Testimony before various Federal and State Courts and Local Boards (1979 - Present)
- Certified Tax Assessor (CTA) certification from the New Jersey Division of Taxation. (1986)
- Founded Liberty Assessment Consultants and reduced the property taxes of thousands of properties throughout New Jersey and the eastern US. (1988-1993)
- Appointed Acting Senior Review Appraiser (GS-14) for the Resolution Trust Corp. (RTC) during the Savings and Loan crisis. (1991)
- Founded Buyer's Trust Brokerage - The first exclusive buyer's brokerage firm in New Jersey. (1993)
- Appointed Condemnation Commissioner and Expert to the Court by the Superior Court of New Jersey. (1992 - 2008)
- Auctioneer of Multi-Million Dollar Homes for the Federal Trade Commission. (2010)
- Earned 2 Accredited Senior Appraiser (ASA) designations from the American Society of Appraisers - 1 in Real Property (1990), the other in Machinery & Technical Specialties: Mines & Quarries (1991).
- State Certified General Real Estate Appraiser license in New Jersey and several other states. (1992-Present)
- Founded the Institute of Real Estate Technologies, having written and instructed accredited real estate courses and seminars throughout the US. (1992-Present)
- Residential and Commercial Mortgage Underwriting and Portfolio Analysis for major Mortgage Backed Securities (MBS) firms, including Chase Commercial Mortgage, CitiCorp Securities, Deutsche Bank and the Federal Home Loan Bank of New York. (1997 - 1999)
- Earned an IFAS Senior Real Estate Appraiser designation from the National Association of Independent Fee Appraisers. (2010)
- Written and published several real estate articles and books. (1991 - Present)
Contact me for more information...
Please contact me if you'd like more information about my credentials or to learn how I may be able to help you advance your career. There's no obligation of any kind.